Frequently Asked Questions
What sets Harmony Strings apart?
- First and foremost: We are a string quartet, not an agency. What this means is you will speak directly with the musicians who will be performing for your event. There is no "middleman." Therefore, no information will get lost in the shuffle. We are degreed, professional musicians, and we've been performing together for over a decade.
- When it comes to weddings, we are experts at tailoring the music to the moment. Our experienced professionals will time each song accordingly so the music ends at the nearest cadence at just the right moment. We've all heard horror stories of live music suddenly screeching to a halt, disrupting an otherwise beautiful wedding ceremony. Your wedding day is too important to put in the hands of an inexperienced group of amateur musicians. With Harmony Strings, you can rest assured that your wedding music will flow seamlessly from one song to the next, and it will sound as if each song was composed for just that moment in time.
- Rest assured your event will not be outsourced to college students (common practice!). When you book Harmony Strings, you are booking degreed, professional musicians who have been performing together for over a decade. The person you speak with will be one of the musicians performing at your event. Here at Harmony Strings, we believe in upholding the integrity of our profession.
- We are passionate about learning new music and performing the music that you love! We offer to learn one new song free of charge for each event (with 3 months prior notice), so be sure to let us what you have in mind when you request a quote!
- We truly care about each event. We love what we do and are grateful to be a part of so many beautiful memories. To the clients who took the time to write such kind words in online reviews and in handwritten thank-you cards, we are forever grateful. It is because of them that we have won 19 awards since our inception, and we are truly honored.
- Last but not least: We are perfectionists! We are known for being meticulously detailed when it comes to performances, and we spend countless hours prepping and preparing for each and every event. Here at Harmony Strings we take our job seriously, and we will always arrive early and prepared.
What genre of music do you perform?
- String Duo & Trio --- Strictly Classical
- String Quartet --- Classical & Contemporary Music from:
- Solo Artists --- John Legend, Beyoncé, Adele, Christina Perri, David Bowie, Prince, Michael Jackson, etc
- Bands --- Coldplay, Guns N Roses, The Beatles, Fun, Queen, etc.
- Musicals --- Hamilton, Phantom of the Opera, The Music Man, etc.
- Movies --- Up, Star Wars, Transformers, and much more!
We will send our repertoire lists when you request a quote! If you have a special request, feel free to let us know.
Which instruments are in a String Duo, Trio, and Quartet?
- String Duo: Violin & Cello
- String Trio: Violin, Viola, & Cello
- String Quartet: 2 Violins, Viola, & Cello
A String Quartet will give the fullest sound and, similar to a choir, will cover the soprano, alto, tenor, & bass lines for each song (piece).
How soon do I need to contact Harmony Strings to be assured of availability?
- Contact us as soon as you have set the date and location of your event. Our calendar quickly fills up months and sometimes years in advance, so book early to ensure availability.
How much space do you require?
- We require 10 feet x 10 feet for our String Quartet, 8 feet x 8 feet for our String Trio, & 6 feet x 6 feet for our String Duo. We sit in a semi-circle formation in order to maintain eye contact to start/end each song together.
Will your quartet attend my wedding dress rehearsal?
- We have found that attending the dress rehearsal is unnecessary.
How long should I book the string quartet for my wedding?
- For most weddings, 1 hour of booking should suffice. This will include 20-30 minutes of prelude music (as your guests are seated before the wedding) and 30-40 minutes for the wedding ceremony itself. Of course, the length of your ceremony depends entirely on the person officiating your wedding. If your officiant likes to talk, then your ceremony will last quite a bit longer! Be sure to discuss the length of your wedding ceremony with your wedding officiant before booking our group. If you are looking for a kind, knowledgeable, & experienced wedding officiant (whose ceremonies are under 30 minutes), we recommend Rev. Ron Ramey for religious ceremonies and Benita Malone for secular ceremonies.
Do we have to pay for your set up time?
- We do not charge for set up time.
When will the quartet arrive?
- We typically arrive 30-45 minutes prior to performance start time to set up, tune our instruments, warm-up, and talk through cues with your coordinator.
Which songs do you recommend for a traditional wedding ceremony?
What is your typical attire?
- Our standard attire is professional, performance black. Our aim is to let our music shine, and we want the spotlight to remain on your event (not on our outfits).
What is an appropriate tip for the musicians?
- Tipping is optional (never expected) and typically falls in the range of $20-50 per musician.
We'd love to answer any additional questions you may have! Please fill out the form on our "Request a Quote" page.